Reasons for Drinking Lemon Water in the Morning on an Empty Stomach
Lemons and limes are popular citrus fruits that can be used in a variety of ways. They can be used separately or combined with other beneficial ingredients like honey, natural salt, etc. Once found only in health food stores, organic food is now a regular feature at most supermarkets because a number of people are becoming educated on the value of eating “organic” and that is what they are demanding.
Here’s how easy it is: First thing in the morning, before you eat or drink anything else, wash a lemon (preferably organic) and cut it in half. Squeeze the juice from one lemon half into a large mug or heat-proof cup. Add warm, filtered water (not boiling water which will destroy some of the vitamins and enzymatic properties in the lemon) to the mug. Drink slowly. If possible, drink 3 additional glasses of water either before of after taking the lemon water and wait 30-45 minutes before eating or drinking anything else. This will give your body time to absorb as many nutrients as possible and at the same time to cleanse many toxins from your system.
Reasons for Drinking Lemon Water on an Empty Stomach
1. Lemons are rich in Vitamin C and help strengthen your immune system. Lemons have antibacterial and antiviral properties, help fight flu, colds, infecctions of the respiratory tract, sore throat and inflammation of tonsils. Although people who drink their daily lemon water every day are less likely to get these in the first place.
2. Lemon water helps maintain an alkaline pH, which helps reduce inflammation and prevent the growth of harmful viruses and bacteria that cause disease and infections. Keeping your body pH at 7.0 or higher will also prevent cancer, reduce the risk of diabetes and Alzheimer’s and help with weight loss.
3. Lemons contain pectin fiber which suppresses hunger cravings and is beneficial for the colon by promoting natural bowel movement,and helps boost metabolism and weight loss
4. Drinking lemon water on an empty stomach helps flush out of toxins.
5. Warm water with lemon relieves heartburn and helps digestion as lemon contains citric acid. It interacts with other enzymes and acids which easily stimulate the secretion of gastric juice and digestion.
6. Warm lemon water cleanses the liver and helps the liver produce more enzymes than any other food.
7. Water with lemon helps to dilute uric acid, reducing pain in the joints and muscles and can also help with gout.
8. Lemons freshen your breath and fight mouth bacteria. However, avoid drinking or using the juice undiluted. The citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so don’t brush your teeth with it, but have a glass of lemon water instead.
9. Lemon juice is a great source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, citric acid, phosphorus and etc. These electrolytes help to keep your body hydrated.
10. Water with lemon aids in proper functioning of the heart and nervous system as lemon has a high content of potassium. Potassium and magnesium show beneficial effects on brain health. It improves brain function, mental clarity and better focus, making it a great drink for students or people with busy and stressful jobs. Depression and anxiety are often the result of low levels of potassium in the blood. Lemon water can give you the boost you need to fight depression and stress.
11. Water with lemon can help lower blood pressure. A daily intake of one lemon can reduce high blood pressure by 10%.
12. Water with lemon helps with tooth pain and gingivitis.
13. Drinking water with lemon regularly (every morning) will improve the condition of your skin.
14. Water with lemon is beneficial for pregnant women. Since lemons are loaded with Vitamin C, it acts as an adaptogen helping the body cope with viruses such as colds. Furthermore, vitamin C helps the formation of bone tissue of the unborn baby. At the same time, due to the high content of potassium, a mixture of water with lemon helps forming cells of the brain and nervous system of the baby.
15. Water with lemon helps dissolve gallstones, kidney stones, pancreatic stones, and calcium deposits.
16. Lemon water gives you an instant boost of energy and improves your mood right at the start of your day.
17. Lemon juice works as a diuretic to keep your urinary tract toxin-free and because it helps control the growth of harmful bacteria, it is very helpful for people who often suffer from UTI (urinary tract infection).
18. Lemon water helps to reduce mucus and phlegm formation. People who drink cow’s milk are often more prone to mucus production. Starting your day with lemon water can definitely help to lessen mucus if you’re not dairy-free.
19. Finally, freshly squeezed (preferably organic) lemon juice kills cancer cells faster and better than chemotherapy. The best part is that lemon juice only kills the cancer cells and does not kill healthy cells. Chemotherapy on the other hand kills both cancerous and non-cancerous cells.
And for those wanting to kick the coffee habit, many people have succeeded in replacing their morning coffee with warm lemon water. It gives a similar energy boost to wake your body and boost energy as one cup of coffee would.
The Master Cleanse Lemonade Diet
“The Lemonade diet has successfully and consistently demonstrated its eliminating and building ability.”
“The following program has been tested and approved since 1940 in all sections of the world as the most successful of any diet of its type. As an originator of this superior diet, I humbly and yet proudly offer it to you, confidant that you will receive vigorous good health from its use.
This diet will prove that no one needs to live with his diseases. Lifetime freedom from disease can become a reality.” Stanley Burroughs – Author of The Master Cleanser.
There are three phases to The Master Cleanse:
2. The Lemonade Diet
Each of these will be explained in detail, and it is very important to follow these directions carefully. If you read closely you shouldn’t have many questions.
There are often questions regarding the precise ingredients for the Master Cleanser Recipe, as they can vary somewhat, depending on your experience and requirements. Be sure to choose which is right for you and learn how to best be prepared for The Master Cleanser Side Effects. Everyone goes through different, very individual healing processes and this may prepare you for any ups and downs.
Ease-In – Starting The Master Cleanse:
The Ease-In step of The Master Cleanse (Pre-Diet Routine) is not as important as the Ease-Out (Post-Diet Routine). In fact, you could skip the Ease-In completely and begin directly with The Lemonade Diet at any time. Some prefer beginning The Lemonade Diet with the Ease-In routine because it prepares your stomach for less food, and also your mind.
The purpose of Easing-into the Cleanse:
I find by doing the Ease-In, the first two days of the Diet are not as shocking, and the impulse to eat is therefore more manageable. It allows you to prepare your body for the dramatic change in diet as you cleanse but it will also prepare you for the next 10 days; mentally and emotionally, which can prevent you from ending the Master Cleanse too soon. Use the 3 days of the Ease-In to gather your ingredients for the Master Cleanser Recipe.
Regardless of whether you choose to Ease-In or go right to The Lemonade Diet, your Master Cleanse Kit will contain all of your ingredients, tools, equipment, and appliances that you will need during the Master Cleanse and The Lemonade Diet. The tools and equipment of The Master Cleanse Kit are used to prepare and make the Lemonade, as well as to produce your Daily Detox Bowel Movements. The Lemonade Diet Ingredients are discussed in detail further down this page (and on The Lemonade Diet page).
Below are some other items you might consider for inclusion in your Master Cleanse Kit.
Laxatives (to create Daily Detox Bowel Movements)
Sea Salt (for The Salt Water Flush)
Hand Juicers or Electric Juicers
Teaspoon and Tablespoon Measures
Naturally Non-caffeinated Herbal Teas (the only cheating allowed)
Bio-Metric Measures (scales, pH-testers, body fat measures, and other devices to measure the results of your cleanse)
Notebook (to document the process, emotions, challenges and triumphs during the Master Cleanse
Why should you choose to Ease in?
Starting The Master Cleanse with the Ease-in is also a good time to build your confidence and exposure to a Living Food Diet, Raw Food Diet, Green Diet, Vegetarian Diet or whatever you call your ideal post-cleanse food lifestyle. I don’t see these diets as “Diets” in a strict sense. To me they are lifestyle choices regarding the foods you eat. If the style of life you want is healthy, energetic, and long lasting then you must eliminate toxins, de-vitalized foods, processed foods, and otherwise dead-foods from your diet. Detox Diet Recipes such as these (and others), are great templates to base your daily food decisions on. We all know this deep down. The Master Cleanse, for most, is about a transition to a healthier lifestyle.
Ease-In Day 1 – Living Food Diet:
To do the Living Food Diet, you only need to eat live foods. Simply remove processed foods, meat, grain and dairy from your diet. Enjoy shopping for, and eating interesting fruits and vegetables. Savor the rich flavors and textures. Be sure that you don’t go too heavy on fruits as they are high in sugar. A 60/40 balance of vegetables to fruits is a good guideline.
Ease-In Day 2 – Juicing, Blending, Soups and Broths:
This step preps your body for a liquid diet and delivers macro nutrients more quickly to your bloodstream. By breaking down the foods to liquids we can more readily take in the nutrients from the food.
Fruit and Vegetable Juicing is very enjoyable. There are endless combinations of tasty juicing recipes. Blending is equally enjoyable. Green smoothies are like drinking a glass of healing. If you do not have a juicer, you can make soups or broths.
Ease-In Day 3 – Orange Juice:
Manually or electrically juice enough oranges to make 2 liters of Orange Juice, mixed with water (to taste). If you find it hard to get the calories you need through the day, add some Pure Organic Maple Syrup to increase my caloric intake.
The Lemonade Diet:
Whether you begin The Lemonade Diet immediately or Ease-In, the process of the Lemonade Diet is the same. You will however, need to make two decisions to suit your personal preferences and/or your daily work and family routines. The first Master Cleanse Variation revolves around timing your daily flush. Perhaps equally important as ending The Master Cleanse is the Daily Detox Bowel Movement. It is crucial to flush out the toxins your body is eliminating, and since you are not consuming digestible food (fiber) to create a bowel movement, you will have to make that happen.
This is why I call this process “The Daily Detox Bowel Movement”. It is this process that cleanses your body of the waste, and toxins. There are two accepted methods to produce Daily Detox Bowel Movements:
1. Daily use of Magnesium has shown to help keep bowels more regular.
2. And the Salt Water Flush.
On your first full day you do not need to do the Salt Water Flush (SWF) so you can start drinking your Lemonade immediately upon waking.
Lemonade Diet ingredients – Step 1:
Awake, and prepare your Lemonade – this is your nourishment and energy source for the day.
Soon after arising you will prepare your daily intake of Fresh Lemon Juice, Certified Organic Maple Syrup, Cayenne Pepper and Pure Water.
Lemonade Diet Recipe:
Mix each of the following lemonade diet ingredients into a large glass:
2 Tablespoons or more Fresh Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup (Certified Organic B or C grade – even those brands which are labeled organic, but are not certified, are sometimes shipped in containers that were used to ship Formaldehyde. Some recipes for this cleanse recommend Black Strap Molasses for people who are Diabetic.)
1/10 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper Powder – or to taste (as much as you can stand)
8 ounces (250 milliliters of Pure Water)
Little tip: Roll each lemon firmly between your palm and the counter. Put sufficient downward pressure as you rock the lemon back and forth under your hand. You are softening the lemon to make the extraction of juice more efficient.
Tips on how to make the Master Cleanse Lemonade
1. Store your lemons on the counter to ripen, NOT in the fridge. Enzymes are dormant in the fridge. You want those enzymes. If you buy 50 lemons in advance, as most people do, store 40 in the fridge at a time and take the 10 ripest lemons out for your first day or two.
2. Next, cut the lemon and juice and add to glass.
3. Add the rest of the lemonade ingredients into the glass, mix immediately, and drink. I like to drink the glass quickly because it seems to hit my hunger spot quickly. I usually only drink when I need to, and when enough time has passed to allow for a nice spread over the day as I try to manage my daily quota.
4. Drink your lemonade as soon as you can after you made it. If you allow the lemonade to sit with the Cayenne pepper in it too long as it will steep. The lemonade will get too spicy and that may prevent you from drinking enough lemonade during the day.
Note: You might enjoy licking the tablespoon measure after adding your maple syrup. Just don’t “eat” the syrup in quantity.
If you are doing The Salt Water Flush, you should drink your first glass of lemonade after your first bowel movement to allow the process of elimination to begin.
The Lemonade Diet Concentrate – the most common mistake:
Do not pre-mix your lemonade. The longer your Lemonade sits, the more enzymes die. If you need to pre-mix your lemonade, then you should only mix a concentrate of just 2 ingredients:
1. The Fresh Lemon Juice.
2. and the Pure Maple Syrup.
The maple syrup acts as a preservative. This mixture will keep the enzymes alive longer, but make fresh whenever you can. If you have to premix, store the concentrated mixture in a cool, dark, glass container. Do not add the cayenne or water to the concentrate! The cayenne will “Steep” like tea, and make the concentrate very hot.
Variation from this procedure is the leading cause of problems of the Master Cleanse not working.
How much Lemonade should you drink during the day?
You will drink between 6 and 12 glasses of Lemonade each day (some people drink as much as 26 glasses per day). This will depend on how big or small you currently are (caloric needs), your tolerance to physical and psychological urges to eat, and your desire to lose weight. The more you can drink the better.
How much weight will I loose during the Master Cleanse?
Master Cleanse Weight Loss results vary according to your pre-cleanse weight, and can be managed, to a degree, by how much lemonade you drink. Obviously you can Drink more, for less weight loss, and drink less to lose more weight. It is not a wise choice to drink less than 6 glasses in an effort to lose “extra” weight. Weight loss (if any), should occur naturally. It is wise to drink whenever you’re hungry, or when you feel a lack of energy (commonly felt as a weakness or mild shakiness), which is quickly corrected by drinking a glass of Fresh Lemonade. 12 glasses per day should be your starting point from which you will make adjustments.
You can drink as much water as you do Lemonade. All the water you consume from (including the water in the lemonade), is a key factor in why this cleanse is so successful. Avoid chlorinated and fluorinated water.
Drink Pure Water Throughout the Day:
Most of us are chronically dehydrated. And most of us eat when we are thirsty. Our bodies don’t understand the difference between the cravings for water and food very well. The two signals of hunger and thirst are often misunderstood. I drink as much as I can, but like anything, one shouldn’t overdo it. Every time I feel a hunger craving, I take a nice big chug of water. If your hunger signal is triggered by thirst, this will turn of the hunger switch telling you that you are hungry. If you feel very hungry or weak, drink a glass of Lemonade.
What kind of water should I use during the cleanse?
The quality of your water during the Master Cleanse is the key to great results. You probably know that your body uses water to flush and transport toxins to the organs of elimination (colon, bladder, lungs, skin) to discharge them. Latest scientific research shows that many health problems can be significantly improved, or completely eliminated, with just an adequate consumption of good water. (See Water Purification)
Three recommend ways to ensure your water is pure and appropriate for the Cleanse:
1. You can use Water Ionizer.
2. Install good Water Filter for your tap water.
3. Or check your local health-food store for Purified Bottled Water.
What about distilled water?
Stanley Burroughs – The Master Cleanse founder, did not recommend using distilled water. He called it “cooked” – completely stripped of natural minerals found in water. It is also slightly acidic.
Step 3 – Master Cleanse Detox – Induce Daily Bowel Movements:
The Master Cleanse is a Detox Diet. The Detox of The Master Cleanse Diet occurs largely through Bowel Movements. The Daily Detox Bowel Movement is the result from the Nightly Laxative, and The Salt Water Flush. The Salt Water Flush is optional but the Bedtime Laxative is not. Some choose to do a Morning Laxative as well.
Master Cleanse Detox with Herbal Laxatives:
There are several herbal laxatives that work well. Most people find that by using tablets or capsules they are able to better manage the dosage.
I choose to do the Salt Water Flush in the evening. The SWF process is a commitment in itself. Once you take the solution, you will have to be on guard, a bowel movement WILL be coming shortly; usually in 30-60 minutes after taking the salt water, you will have your first movement. The last movements will begin to wind down an hour or so after they begin. This is a crappy process, and there is really no way to sugar-coat it. Just know that the benefits you receive from doing it will be worth it.
Post Cleanse – After The Master Cleanse – Adopt a Healthy Lifestyle:
When you are done with The Master Cleanse, the next and maybe most important step is to begin to Eat Wisely. This sounds so simple, yet so many people go right back to eating emotionally to sooth their daily worries. Choose to Eat Wisely and you will not put the weight back on. If you go back to eating poorly, you will gain back all the weight you just lost and maybe more!
Make sure to take probiotics after you finish the Cleanse. It is very important to replenish the good bacteria in your body that has been flushed out during the Cleansing process. The word “probiotic” means “for life.” Probiotics are good bacteria that provide many health benefits and are essential for many vital body functions, including healthy digestion.
Anyone suffering from Candida, should kill the yeast first as candida thrives on sugars, including maple syrup. (See Candida)
Click one of the Icons to post to your Social Media.